Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, March 14, 2016

Muffins with Mom – Elevator woes


photo credit

My mom and I entered the six story brick building where we were to have our income taxes prepared. This was a new location so we left in time to find our way and arrive a few minutes early. A grey haired security guard greeted us with a smile, “Where are you ladies headed today?”

“We’re going to XYZ Financial on the sixth floor,” mom said.

“Okay, well the elevator isn’t working today.”

My mother and I looked at each other with big eyes and other non-verbal facial expressions. The security guard continued talking. “The good news is, you’re already on the second floor.”

After mom and I completed another round of non-verbal eye aerobics, we made our way to the stairwell. She told me to go on ahead of her because she needed to move slowly.

At the top of the second flight of stairs, mom stopped to rest. She exhaled then said, “Go ahead and have your taxes done first. Maybe by the time I reach the sixth floor you’ll be done.”

We finally arrived at the tax preparers’ office, ten minutes past our scheduled time. We paused outside of the office door so mom’s breathing could return to a normal state. Our business was conducted and two hours later we reconnected with the infamous staircases.

Once we were back in the lobby, mom and I noticed all of the signs that indicated the elevator was out of order.  The signs should have said, “Turn back now if you can’t manage stairs.”

The broken elevator situation gave mom and I yet another opportunity to exercise our stomach muscles by laughing through a problem.

Has anything unexpectantly funny happened to you lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment