Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, September 22, 2014

Muffins with Mom – A Cinderella story as told by a writer mama


photo credit
Like Cinderella preparing for the ball, I prepared for a writer’s conference. My coach awaited, disguised as a Honda CRV. The horsemen were nowhere to be found so reins were left in my hands.
Before I could focus on the glamorous atmosphere of the conference, there were chores to be done at our humble abode. Who would scrub the floors, wash the dishes, and take out the trash?

Certainly I wasn’t expected to do it all. It would have to be one of the evil step sisters, my son.
I wrote a list of chores on a scroll for my teen son to complete. All I asked for in addition to this was a kiss before my departure. The response I got was, “I’m too tired.”

Whump I whacked my son with my hand, but he did not turn into a frog. My magic must have dried up. There was no time to waste trying to persuade an uncooperative teen to see things my way.
My glass slippers
As I rushed to the carriage car with my bags, I dropped one of my glass slippers gym shoes. My son ran after me with the shoe in his hand. As he graciously handed me the shoe he said, “Did you make breakfast?”

I smiled, blew him a kiss and said, “See you in a couple of days.”
In route to the conference location, I changed into my glass slippers gym shoes, which were perfect for my journey ahead. It was a five hour drive, a 20 minute ferry ride, then a one mile walk to my final destination. When I arrived, every effort in preparation for this conference was well worth it.

I was transformed from do it all, super mom, chauffer to writer with a purpose. No floors to scrub, no dishes to wash and no trash to be taken out. I was Cinderella for a weekend.
At the stroke of 12:00 noon on Sunday, I began to pack away my laptop, spiral notebooks and ink pens. Although my weekend was ending, I would return home transformed – rejuvenated.

What is your Cinderella story?

2 comments: