Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

When this fast ends, I’m going on a diet

What is the purpose of fasting? There are many reasons why people fast. The most import reason for me is for spiritual growth. I’m glad spiritual growth was my goal during this season of lent, and not weight loss. I did gain spiritual growth during this time, but I also gained weight. I am the only person I know who can go on a fast and gain weight. I didn’t gain a lot, just the same few extra pounds that follow me off and on.

The fast was not the type that eliminates food altogether. Our charge as a church family, was to give up meat or something else significant to us, during the lent season. I gave up meat and Diet Coke. I assumed that because I gave up meat, naturally I would loose a little weight. It didn’t happen that way.

I believe the weight gain came from the things I used to substitute for the missing items. I turned to coffee, with lots of cream, to replace the missing caffeine. Sometimes I ate larger quantities of the foods that were allowed during the fast. Fasting can be a challenge, as I learned. I’m sure that’s part of the reason fasting and praying go hand in hand.

On one occasion, as I reached for a Diet Coke from my fridge, I heard a voice say, “You can’t have that.” I thought it was my subconscious was talking to me. It was my youngest son reminding me, “You’re not supposed to be drinking that.”

“How do you know?” I asked

“Because you told me you gave up Diet Coke for lent.”

“So, you can remember what I gave up, but you can’t remember to put away your clean clothes…hmmm?”

Anyway, I put the Diet Coke back in the fridge and left it for another day.

This year was the first time that I have attempted to fast. I’ve learned that as challenges come, you pray about it and work through it. Even if you stumble along the way, you keep pushing forward.

Now that lent is over, I have gone back to drinking Diet Coke (but, less often) and I’m trying to control the portion size of the foods I eat. I’m still a work in progress. As a weight watchers
“graduate” (If there’s such a thing), I know eating in moderation is key.

I’m not really going on a diet (too many restrictions), because I’ve ‘been there done that’. I will look at establishing a healthier lifestyle. Fasting was a good experience, it was cleansing to my body and I did a lot of soul searching.

What is your experience with fasting?



No comments:

Post a Comment