Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, January 11, 2016

Muffins with Mom – The Gingerbread Boys on the loose-sibling rivalry

Gingerbread
photo credit and recipe

Run, run as fast as you can, you can’t catch me, I’m the gingerbread man. You may be familiar with this refrain from the popular children’s story titled The Gingerbread Man. I was reminded of this story the other day after I baked a pan of gingerbread.

Fresh out of the oven, I placed the pan of hot gingerbread in a safe place to cool. My oldest son, ‘D’ loves gingerbread, my other son, ‘J’, is not really a cake/brownie type of eater. So, in my mind the delectable treat was meant for ‘D’ and me.

Perched on my bed with pillows propped behind me and glasses at the edge of my nose, I sat reading a book. After a few minutes, I heard bumping noises, then the sound of a herd of elephants headed in my direction.

Before I could seek shelter, my two boys burst through my bedroom door, arguing over the gingerbread. ‘J’ had the pan of gingerbread in tow as he said, “Ma, who is the gingerbread for?”
I said, “Everybody can have some, but I didn’t think you would want any.” That opening statement was all he needed to antagonize his brother.

“See, I told you, it’s not all just for you,” he said.

“Yeah, but you need to let it cool off,” said D.

Little did I know that Betty Crocker would cause such a ruckus in my house. I told ‘J’, “You’d better run, run as fast as you can, ‘cause you’re still holding the gingerbread pan.”

Both boys ran off with a thud, thud, thump. My gingerbread boys were swift as they ran back to the kitchen, where their problem started. They came to a resolution-they would share the delectable treat. What a novel idea (sarcasm intended). However, the story did not end there.

The next day, as I entered the kitchen, I spotted the pan of gingerbread. It was on the counter, uncovered, open to all elements, getting hard. I wonder if Betty Crocker had kids… and did they let her hard work go to waste?


Do your kids experience sibling rivalry or other challenging situations?

No comments:

Post a Comment