Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, January 18, 2016

Muffins with Mom – Martin Luther King Jr. Day


“I have a dream…”This is only a phrase from the speech made famous by civil right activist Martin Luther King Jr. Today is the day recognized as a National Holiday in honor of the slain leader. Many schools and businesses held events locally. Schools are closed today, but held celebratory events last week.
It was a snowy Friday afternoon as I strolled into a local elementary school with parents and other community leaders. I was there to see a few of my former after school program kids perform in their Martin Luther King Jr. program. We waved frantically as we spotted each other across the room.
I spoke to the kids parents then took a seat along the chair lined gymnasium. Several minutes passed before the audience was asked to stand, place our right hand over our chest and belt out The Star Spangled Banner. Had I known I would be asked to sing, I would have at least practiced some type of scale – “la, la, la, la la, la, la, la, laaa; do re me fa so la te do.”
While I fretted over my singing abilities, the first group of kids swarmed the stage. At center stage was my buddy, AJ. He only recited four words, but they were powerful, dramatic and packed a punch. AJ returned to the row of kids on risers behind him. They sang a song then left the stage. When I looked around AJ’s mom had a smile from ear to ear. It was a proud moment.
There were more songs, more reciting’s and more proud moments for parents. This Martin Luther King Jr. Day celebration was an opportunity for kids to learn about history and to be a part of history at their school. It all began with a dream.
I have a dream…do you? What proud moments have you experienced with your child or children you have worked with?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment