Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Wellness Wednesday – National Smile Month


 Share your smile with a friend

This post is a repeat from last year, yet still relevant. Happy National smile Month.

The month of May is celebrated as National Smile Month. This day was established by the Oral Health Foundation to raise awareness of important health issues. And it serves as an opportunity to flash your bright smile after a dental cleaning (just my opinion).

During my last dental cleaning, the hygienist asked how my adult sons were doing. She reminisced about the times my younger son would visit for his cleaning. He was about three or four years old at the time she recalled. “He would hop in the chair, no apprehensions, and after a short while he was asleep.”

A few years older, my son was still relaxed enough to fall asleep. The dentist and hygienist liked the antics of my son, but I was the one who got in trouble for his smile. I was told, “Mom, you have to brush his teeth for him when he doesn’t do it.” I don’t think they understood my struggle. I tried to brush his teeth; I got a few of them brushed before he twisted and turned.

Fast forward fifteen years or so I’ve still said a time or two, “Did you make your dental appointment?”

His response was, “Ma, I’ve got it from here.”

That’s when I realized, this phase of my parenting was done. The condition of my son’s smile was now in his hands.

What will you do to observe National Smile Month? Dental Health.org has ideas for celebrating. If you have grandchildren or know of young children, one idea that sounds fun is to write a letter to the tooth fairy.

For adults who want to show support, take a smiling selfie, and post it to social media. There is a “Smiliey” background that Dental Health would like you to use. If you’re interested in more details about National Smile Month, click here.

Keep your smile healthy and brighten someone’s day by flashing your smile at them.

No comments:

Post a Comment