Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, June 6, 2022

Motivational Monday – National Gardening Exercise Day – 3 Ways to observe

 


Bend, stretch, dig. Bend, stretch, dig. Blue gardening gloves covered my self-manicured hands. This was the systematic flow of preparing to place Impatiens flowers around a tree in my yard. I’m not a Master Gardener, I don’t have a green thumb, and I don’t like bugs. However, there is something therapeutic about gardening, and I recently found out there is a National Holiday called National Gardening Exercise Day.

National Gardening Exercise Day is observed each year on June 6th. The intention of this day is to “recognize the important physical health benefits of gardening” (holidayinsights.com). It’s a win, win situation when your hobby is fun and has health benefits. The experts say that gardening tasks such as raking, hoeing, and digging are aerobic and muscle strengthening.

If you don’t believe the experts, take it from a commoner, me…carrying bags of soil for my garden is muscle strengthening.

Below are 3 Ways to observe National Gardening Exercise Day:

1.      Start a vegetable garden in a pot – if you’re not quite sure whether you want a huge garden, start small and see how you like it.



2.      Sign up for a gardening workshop – check your local recreation department or library.

3.      Participate in a community garden – if you don’t have space at home for a garden, a community garden may be an ideal option for you.

Whether you are a Master Gardner or a newbie, get out and play in a garden this week, just for the health of it. Bend, stretch, dig, and have fun in your garden.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment