Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, June 24, 2022

Fun Friday – The Grocery Store Scavenger Hunt

 


I’ve been shopping at the same grocery store over 15 years. I’ve made it through COVID changes (one-way aisles), but my recent visit was different. I wanted to pick up a few things and go back home to hurry up and relax. I was almost ready to check out when I decided to grab a few bottles of my favorite Sparkling Ice Water. And that’s when the scavenger hunt began.

The chilled bottles of Sparkling Ice were usually in aisle 10, but not that day. The entire cooler section had been relocated. I zipped down one aisle, up another. I cut left in a defensive move to avoid colliding with another shopper. I felt like I was on one of those old TV shopping spree shows, rushing to a destination.

My quick shopping trip turned into an unplanned scavenger hunt. I used context clues as my guide. I saw the pop aisle and knew I was hot on the trail of my thirst quencher. At the end of an aisle, on a center shelf, seven rows deep and seven rows across, sat all varieties of Sparkling Ice. My eyes lit up like bright Christmas lights.

The sign on the shelf read 10 for 10. It was often the special at that store to offer 10 bottles for $10. I quickly pulled ten of my favorite flavors and stacked them into my mini shopping cart and dashed to the checkout register…to stand in a long line. Swiftly, quickly, and immediately were not actions I was experiencing at that moment, but I wanted to.

Instead of letting frustration invade my body, I pulled out my cell phone and clicked on an episode of Dry Bar Comedy. Laughter bubbled in my throat and found its way through the passage of my lips. The process of relaxing had begun.

The scavenger hunt ended in victory. I eagerly carried my bag of flavored water that included Grape Raspberry, Strawberry Lemonade, and Black Raspberry, to my car. A Vision danced in my head of sitting on my couch with a tall glass of Strawberry Lemonade Sparkling Ice fizzing among ice cubes. And it finally happened…relaxation.

What do you do when a situation throws you off course?

No comments:

Post a Comment