Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, July 5, 2019

Fun Friday - 3 Unplanned things I brought home from vacation



Have you ever gone on vacation only to return home with more of some things and less of others? It’s vacation week here at my blog, as you may have noticed after reading Monday’s blog. Preparing for vacation is like preparing for a Holiday. You scramble around getting everything in place before the big day…finally the day arrives.

It was the night before Christmas and…oh wait that’s a different story. It was the night before vacation and all through my house, there was luggage and people; thank God not a mouse. My mom slept soundly, the boys ran around; my head hit the pillow, but no rest was found.

Okay, that’s the end of my rhyme. After a drive to the airport, four hours of air travel, and a shuttle to the ship, we were on our way. It was the first time my young adult sons had experienced a cruise. They had a blast and returned home with souvenirs, pictures of their parasailing excursion, and smiles on their faces.

For me, there were items that I came home with less of and items that I had more of. There was less money in my pocket after purchasing those cruise photos that make everyone look so glamorous.
I also came home with less hair. Yes, you read that correctly, I lost a braid. It happened during my attempt to pull my hair into a ponytail. No worries, it just a hair extension that wasn’t secured tightly.
As for the things I returned home I with…

1.      Relaxation – vacation is a time to do whatever you want or nothing at all and that’s exactly what I did. I read a book. I soaked in sunshine. I sipped a fruity beverage. I asked the waiter for a virgin Strawberry Daiquiri. He responded with, “I’ll be right back with your Smoothie.”

2.      Extra Baggage – my journey home included four extra pounds of body weight. I’m surprised I didn’t have to declare this excess baggage through customs. I’m wondering whether the added pounds had something to do with the Melting Chocolate Cake with ice cream or the apple pie a ’la mode that I ate. I know it couldn’t have been the Orange Sherbet ice cream, its less calories than regular ice cream. I think.

3.      Irreplaceable Memories – creating memorable moments are a treasure. As part of our family vacation, we traveled with a family that I grew up with as a child. There were 40 us total. Our children had the opportunity to meet each other and hang out together. New friendships blossomed.

The airplane ride home was smooth, back on dry land, my body still felt like it was on the ship, and I was sleepy for the next few days. Jet lag. Even after all of that the positives outweighed the negatives. I experienced a family vacation that I would repeat again.



What’s your vacation story? Even if you decide on a stacation, make it a time of enjoyment and creating memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment