Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, July 31, 2017

Muffins with Mom – College Move in Day – Preparing to say goodbye


Something old, something new, something borrowed, something Blue. This is the traditional list of items suggested for a bride to be to have on her wedding day. My teen son seems to have taken on this advice while packing for college.

I looked in my son’s room to see how he was coming along with packing for school. Lying on top of a pile of bags, folded neatly, was something old, borrowed and blue. He had my favorite, queen-sized, snuggle on the couch, fleece blanket. I grabbed the blanket, rushed from his room, and hid it in my closet.

My son eventually discovered the missing blanket and inquired about its whereabouts. I eventually relinquished my rights to the soft, warm family blanket and let him add it to his school bound items. It was time to bid farewell to my son and know that he would be okay.

Preparing for my son to leave for college did not happen over-night. I began to wrap my mind around it during his senior year of high school. Thus began the journey. As you prepare to say goodbye to your college bound child here are a few things to keep in mind.

1.      Let him know your expectations
2.      Let her know that you are proud of her
3.      Remind him that you are only a phone call away
4.      Make a financial plan-establish a budget and decide who will pay for what. Some parents may pay for books and supplies, but expect their student to pay for snacks and other incidentals.
5.      Take comfort in knowing that part of you is going with your child – you have provided a foundation over the years that will travel with her.

It was early Sunday morning when I kissed my son on the cheek and wished his safe travels. He was driving himself on the several hour trip to school. His car was packed with something old, something new, something borrowed and something Blue. He was ready for his new living space at college.

What advice do you have for preparing to say goodbye to a college bound child?


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My advice would be always make a monthly budget plan, study plan of action, and read everything in your syllabus from your professors. Get to know your Professors grading habits and do your best. Leave the knuckleheads alone and save the partying for after graduation and NOT doing school. :)

    ReplyDelete