Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, July 24, 2015

Fun Friday – National Ice Cream Month - 7 Fun facts about ice cream and one messy story


Photo Credit
Just in case you need an excuse to eat ice cream…July is National Ice Cream Month. Did you know that until 1800, ice cream was “a rare and exotic dessert enjoyed mostly by the elite?” I wonder if the elite got messy when they ate ice cream. It didn’t take much for me to make a mess the other day with my cone.
My mess happened on a warm Friday evening after work. It was the perfect day for an ice cream cone. “One scoop of Mint Chocolate Chip on a sugar cone,” that was my request to the worker serving the hand packed ice cream.
I sat at the covered picnic table and licked my ice cream like a little child, round and round, up and over, until…it plopped off the cone and into my hand. Whew. It didn’t hit the ground. I plopped the glob right back onto my cone. I wiped my hand with a napkin, but it was still sticky and ice cream began to run down the fingers of my other hand.
After the last bite of my crunchy cone, I crumpled up the paper napkin stained with globs of green. I headed to my car in search of something that would relieve my hands of stickiness. The hand sanitizer I found smelled good, but didn’t change the condition of my hands.
Satisfied with my refreshing treat, I drove home to wash my hands with soap and water and do nothing for the rest of the evening. And that was how my celebration of National Ice Cream Month began.
Below are 7 fun facts about ice cream that I collected from my local library.
·         Before milk based ice creams were introduced in 10th century, this summer treat was indeed made from ice.

·         Ice cream cones were invented during 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis, when large demand forced ice cream vendor to find help from nearby waffle vendor. Together they made history.

·         Most profitable day for ice cream sellers is almost always Sunday.

·         One cone of ice cream can be finished in 50 licks.

·         It takes 12 gallons of milk to create one gallon of ice cream.

·         Ice cream “Brain Freeze” effect is triggered when cold ice touches the roof of your mouth, which causes blood vessels in the head to dilate.

·         The end of World War II was celebrated by eating ice cream.

How will you celebrate National Ice Cream Month? Do you have an ice cream story to share?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment