Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, July 17, 2015

Fun Friday – The fitness challenge

Photo Credit
Have you ever started a fitness routine only to realize after a while that you have hit a plateau? It may feel like you aren’t reaching your fitness goals. I was faced with this realization after a recent conversation with m teen son.

My fifteen-year-old has consistently worked out and conditioned for football since school ended for the summer. As we drove home from his strength training one day, he updated me on his workout. I could hear the excitement in his voice when he said, “My weight has increased. I weigh 160 pounds.”

My response was, “So do I.” I was less enthusiastic than my son. We both weigh the same. He was excited, I was not. My son tried to make me feel better by telling me about his workout regimen of five days a week. I told him that I too have a five day workout routine, but my results are a little different than his.

I am learning, slowly, that a workout regimen and eating habits must somehow balance with each other. There is also that thing called goal setting and assessing your progress along the way. Easy enough right? Not always. The key is to never quit trying.

I’m glad I work out at a facility that has the tagline judgment free zone. Everyone works at their own pace, friendships develop, and people encourage each other.

Have you experienced any fitness challenges?

Here are a few fun quotes related to fitness…
·         “When people ask me if I exercise, I tell them I do crunches everyday- especially Captain Crunch and Nestle Crunch.”    Author Unknown
·         “I really think tossing and turning at night should be considered exercise.”  Author Unknown

·         “I tried exercise, but found I was allergic to it – my skin flushed, my heart raced, I got sweaty, short of breath….very dangerous.”   Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment