Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, March 30, 2015

Muffins with Mom – 3 Signs that you may need a vacation from parenting

Sometimes we all need a vacation...even the kids.

Has anyone ever said to you, “parenting is a full time job?” I know this to be true because I’ve seen the job description. No experience is required for this job, nor is there a possibility of promotion or advancement. However there is on the job training.
Since parents work so hard at their job, there will be more than one occasion where you feel the need to take a vacation. Below are 3 signs that I’ve discovered that may cause a parent to want a vacation.
1.      Your teen is learning to drive – while this is a milestone in the life of a teen, it can be a less than exciting time for a parent. My 15-year old asked if he could drive home from the store the other day. I’m not the best person for the job of driver’s training instructor, but I strapped myself in on the passenger side of the car and attempted to appear calm.

With each stop at a red light or turn at a corner, I gripped the passenger side arm rest and applied invisible brakes. After ten minutes my son pulled into our driveway. My chest caved in, my toes uncurled and I let out a sigh of relief. 

2.      Wardrobe malfunction – I had a fight recently…it was with my jacket. It was a day that I’d stayed a little late at work causing me to have to rush to pick up my son from school. I threw my jack on and zipped it up quickly. I arrived at my son’s school only ten minutes late and we proceeded to our next destination, an afterschool workshop that I signed him up for.

Once my son was settled into his workshop, I prepared to relax. As I unzipped my jacket, the zipper split/separated about half way down. I tried zipping it back up and down again. I was stuck. I matched the metal pieces at the bottom of the jacket together, the zipper went down a little more, but never opened all the way.

I finally pulled the jacket over my head, like a shirt and freed myself. I was determined not to lose the battle. I had won, but I was tired. And I needed a new jacket. 

3.      Outrageous request from your child – “Ma, can you take me to get a tattoo?” My response was, “give me about 5 years to think about it.”
At the end of your vacation, rest assured that there ARE benefits as a parent that you will enjoy – unconditional love and a lifetime 0f hugs and kisses.
What parenting moments have you experienced that let you know it may be time for a vacation?

No comments:

Post a Comment