Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, February 20, 2015

Fun Friday – Friends say the darndest things


Photo credit
You may be familiar with the phrase, kids say the darndest things, but I have learned that friends also say the darndest things. There are friends we see regularly, those we see infrequently and yet others we’ve met through acquaintances.
Friends are all dear to our hearts, but sometimes you just don’t know what will come out of their mouths. Because they’re your friend they can get away with saying certain things.

My mother attended a prayer breakfast a few months ago. While mingling with guests, she came across someone she hadn’t see in a long time. The woman came up to her and said, “Annie is that you? Somebody told me you had died.”
Mom wasn’t sure how to respond, but after a pregnant pause she managed to say, “No, I’m still around.” She wasn’t offended, but brought out the humor in the situation. I told mom that maybe she should check-in with her friends a little more often.
My brother, not wanting to be left out of a family bonding moment had a friend story to share. I must say that my brother in no spring chicken, actually he’s over forty years old, but still actively plays basketball. Not long ago he played in a thirty and over recreation league. He had a great game where he was shooting from the top of the key, making layups and just scoring every chance he got.
After the basketball game, a coach from one of the other teams came running over to my brother and said, “Sam that was a good game. I want you to play on my fifty and over team.” My brother glared at him and said, “Don’t you have to be over 50 years old?”
My brother concluded that it must have been his grey hair that led the coach to believe he qualified for the fifty and over basketball team.
Now for my story…
Shortly after my oldest son was born, someone I hadn’t seen for a long time spotted me from across a room. As she walked toward me she pointed at my stomach and said, “When is the baby due?”
I mouthed the reply to her, “He’s five months old.”
It was at that moment that I realized I needed to step up my post baby weight loss efforts.
Have any of your friends ever said anything that made you want to cringe?
Photo credit
 

 

3 comments:

  1. I actually made the mistake of asking someone I work with when she was due. I could've sworn she was pregnant, because every time I saw her, she looked a little bigger in her belly. She wasn't pregnant. Oops! That's the last time I'm ever saying anything like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually made the mistake of asking someone I work with when she was due. I could've sworn she was pregnant, because every time I saw her, she looked a little bigger in her belly. She wasn't pregnant. Oops! That's the last time I'm ever saying anything like that!

    ReplyDelete