Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012


Give me patience – but hurry!

Patience is a virtue. It is said to be a virtue because we learn to develop it through difficulties. It is not something you can expect to obtain in a hurry.   I know because I prayed for patience years ago and I am still being tested.
Have you often heard the saying, “the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree?” Well, just like his mom, my son is still learning about being patient. We went to the library one day for a change of scenery…mainly because I wanted quiet time to write. After a couple of hours, “Mr. Grumpy” invaded my sons’ body.

As I was trying to focus on what I was doing, my son interrupted my train of thought. His words were, “I can’t be here any longer. I have exceeded my limit.”
I asked, “What was your limit?”

“The time we arrived.”

Needless to say, his patience expired along with the movie videos he was returning.
What I have learned about praying for patience is that you will be tested. After all how can we learn patience without having the opportunity to practice? The test of patience comes in many forms. For some it is waiting in a long line when you are in a hurry, or not receiving good service at a business. For others it could be driving behind someone who is going slower than you want to go.

A test of patience for me comes in the form of situations with my children. Maybe you are familiar with some of them. I tell my son to put away the dishes and 10 minutes later the dishes are still not put away. In another instance I tell the boys to go to bed, but they find many reasons (excuses) to avoid sleep. So what’s a parent to do?
·         Know what triggers your impatience – determine the underlying cause of your frustration and find a coping mechanism to ease your tension.
·         “Look for patterns” www.sketchpride.livejournal.com/17995.html/)  – an article at wikihow says to look for patterns…when do you feel impatient? Is at the end of a long day at work? At bedtime for the kids? Etc.
·         Don’t sweat the small stuff – choose your battles and try not to stress out over the small things.

By the time my kids are adults, I just might have the patience thing mastered. Until then I will persevere.
Here is a quote by John Quincy Adams that helps put things into perspective - “Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.”

What situations have you encountered that required patience?








No comments:

Post a Comment