Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Give kids the gift of time


Several parents that I’ve talked to said that they like to spend quality time with each of their children separately. Spending money is not a requirement to accomplish this. The simple gift of time can mean a lot.
During basketball season my 15 year old son Donovan and I had several opportunities to share dialog while his brother was at practice. Yes we actually talked…parent and teen. Nothing deep, just open conversation. This accomplishment can be equated to climbing Mt. Everest. Actually, Mt. Everest might be a smaller mountain to conquer.

On one occasion, Donovan and I sat in the car waiting for Joshua’s practice to end. Listening to music and bobbing our heads to the beat, Donovan opened the mirror on the sun visor. Examining his face he proudly said, “My mustache is growing.”
I waited a few seconds, then looked at him and said, “So is mine.” I wasn’t quite as happy about my mustache as he was. But it didn’t really matter, after all we were bonding.

Sometimes quality time with my teen may be a trip to the mall. He goes to a sports store while I look for the kiosk where the lady does “threading” – so I can have my chin hairs removed and eyebrows arched. I’m afraid for her to touch the mustache.
I recently visited a blog where the author gave examples of how she spends quality time with her children. Her ideas are not as off the wall as mine. Some of her activities include:

  • Snuggle under a fuzzy blanket while reading with one of your kids.
  • “Listening to stories about dreams or the previous days activities during a reading lesson.”
  • “Stopping whatever I’m doing to sit down on the floor right where I am and read a picture book to a toddler.”
To view the complete article visit www.raisingolives.com/2011/02/individual-time-kids/.

No matter what activity you decide to do with your child, giving him the gift of time will go a long way.


No comments:

Post a Comment