Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Words of Wisdom – Celebrate Family


Funny, silly, smart, resourceful…just a few words to describe my family. Our recent outing reminded me of the quirkiness of my family. Dinner at a local family restaurant proved to be anything, but average.

I accidentally I tried to hold a conversation with my brother. When he didn’t respond to a comment I made, I realized the problem right away. His attention was directed at the big screen T.V. above our table. Michigan was playing Iowa in college football and I was distracting him. Oops.





Trying to organize our small tribe for a photo was like trying to round up a herd of cattle.  As soon as I got a few people together, a few others wondered off somewhere. Then there’s my great nephew who went from pretending he was asleep to showing us all of his teeth with a huge grin.





My teenagers added to the festivities by rough housing with their little cousins and nearly bumping into a table of diners near us. I was ready to bury my head in a hole and slither out of there. It was at that moment my niece said, “Let’s take a group picture near the entrance.” She had recruited a hostess to our picture.

Once again, we attempted to assemble ourselves into a picturesque arrangement of professional photo readiness. We came close to it, really close, then remembered, that’s not really who we are. We’re resourceful, smart, silly and funny. Anything, but average.



As we head into the Thanksgiving holiday why not take the time to create a lasting memory with your family? Here’s a poem that celebrates family –

A family
is made of love and tears,
laughter and years.
It grows stronger
More precious
With the making of memories.

It’s the place you find
Someone to encourage you,
Believe in you.

Celebrate with you and comfort you.
A family is where your heart
Feels most at home because you’re
Always wanted, always welcomed,
Always needed,
Always loved.

Author Unknown


Do you have a funny family story to share? Wishing you and yours a Happy Thanksgiving.


No comments:

Post a Comment