Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, December 30, 2013

Muffins with Mom – Top 7 New Year’s Resolutions for Parents



Holiday basketball tournament - Battle Creek Central High School
A family outing
Our Muffins with Mom excursion today again deviates from a muffin treat. In light of the Holiday I’m trying to clear all of the sweet delectable from my home. Pull up a chair and join me for Sweet Potato Pie with a scoop of ice cream as we jump into the story.
A family road trip is a great time for discovery. Recently my son played in a holiday basketball tournament. On the hour drive home we talked about the game, past family vacations and other stuff. It was the “other stuff” that prompted my number one New Year’s Resolution – Spend more time with the kids.

We reflected on the things my son did on his trip to Europe (People to People program) three years ago. He told me there was a riot going on while his group was in Ireland. He also reflected on his horseback riding experience through rain and mud. My first response was, “You didn’t tell me about a riot.”

So here are my top picks for New Year Resolutions for parents:

1.      Send time with your kids - listening to them, talking with them...

2.      Catch your kids being good

3.      Play with your kids more

4.      Practice patience

5.      Don’t overcommit

6.      Make time for yourself

7.      Always be grateful

 What are your parenting resolutions for 2014?

2 comments:

  1. Great resolutions. Even though my daughter could get her drivers license, I don't mind that she's not ready as it's sometimes the time we talk the most. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Natalie, the car seems to be where I experience quality conversations with the boys.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete