Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, November 20, 2023

Motivational Monday – Humor and the Holidays: A 3-step approach to happiness during the holidays

I am…

I can…

I will…

I am happy.

I can do whatever I set my mind to do.

I will, relax, rejuvenate, and rejoice.

What are your plans for the upcoming Holiday season? Will you spend Thanksgiving with family, friends, or feasting on a smaller level? Before you bake that first pie, or baste your turkey, take a moment to think about what this season means to you.

If it’s happiness you’re seeking, begin with gratitude, sprinkle with humor, and drizzle with fun. I’ve often heard happiness described as a state of mind. If this statement is true, start by conditioning your mind to believe that you ARE happy. Go through your day as though you already have what you are seeking.

Below are three steps to help you find happiness during the holidays.

Step 1  Practice mindfulness – focus on being in the moment without worrying about all the tasks that need to be done during the holiday. Being in the moment means enjoying the process rather than rushing to get to the end result.

Instead of feeling overwhelmed by the upcoming holiday, find a way to add lightheartedness to whatever you do. I did this very thing the other day. I was in the Holiday spirit, creating my gift giving list when a thought hit me – did I pay my auto loan this month? I had not.

I quickly called the finance company to make a payment over the phone. The customer service person was friendly, he asked how my day was going. It could have been part of his training, to put the customer at ease about the chunk of money they’re about to give up. He was pleasant so I accepted his comments.

After making the payment, the representative said, “I will email your receipt.”

He recited my email address. When he saw it contained the word writer, our conversation took a different direction. “Oh, you’re a writer. Do you write fiction, non-fiction?”

“I write children’s books, essays, and comedy.”

“Oh, you do stand up? Can you give me one line.”

I paused as a chuckle rose from my belly. My quiet thoughts said, ok, just go with this.

“I’ll tell you one of my opening lines… I used to be a brick house, now I’m just happy with a CLEAN house.”

I was rewarded with a hearty laugh from the friendly customer service guy. So, I asked, “Now, do I get a discount for telling you a joke?” He laughed louder.

I did not receive a discount, but Mr. Friendly said I made his day. I had fun at that moment even though I had to pay that bill before I could do some fun shopping.

 

Step 2  Create a mantra – come up with a positive phrase that you repeat daily (in the morning and again before you go to bed). This could be as simple as coming up with I am statements such as the one I used at the beginning of this post.

 

Step 3  Have Fun – Allow yourself to relax, breathe and have fun. Change your perspective on tasks that you do during the Holiday. Instead of saying I have to go shopping for my five nieces and nephews. Say I get to go shopping for my nieces and nephews.

While you’re shopping take the time to enjoy the twinkling lights in the stores, and the songs blaring through the speakers. Dance in the aisle if you want.



Happiness is a state of mind. We have to train our minds for the joy we want to feel.

I am…I can…I will. How will you complete these statement?

I am Hott Flash, your Humor Doctor, and I am prescribing laughter for your Holiday season; one dose at a time.

Find something to laugh about during your day. Leave something funny in the comments.

1 comment: