Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, February 12, 2016

Fun Friday – Family and friends say the darndest things





Do you have friends or family members who just let words leak from their mouths without any filters? Today I’m sending out love to my family and friends for their say anything, quirky, weirdness. 

Family
When my brother asked me to meet him after work the other day he said, “Where do you want to eat…Wendy’s or Burger King?” As we sat down I noticed the salt and pepper color of his beard – more salt than pepper. Likewise, he glared at the threads of grey intertwined along the edges of my hairline.

Shortly thereafter, words spilled from my brother’s mouth, “You’ve got a lot of grey.”

“So, do you and you’re younger than me. So there,” I spewed the words back at him.

My brother and I wanted to take a picture to capture our special moment together. We struggled with our phones to take a selfie from an angle that would make us both look thinner. A young guy in a booth near us came over and asked, “Would you like me to take the photo?” He took the photo…we didn’t look thin. We continued taking selfies until we finally agreed on one that captured our smiling faces.

After posting the photos on Facebook, my 20 something niece commented, “Is that my day with all that grey? Lol.” A few seconds after that comment she posted another that said, “Aunt Angie, is that grey I see in your hair too?”

Leave it to family members to state the obvious.

Friends
While at a celebration for someone I’ve worked with for years, I also saw people who I had not seen in a long time. It was standing room only, as I munched on hors d’oeuvres and chatted with an old friend.

As soon as I put a spoon full of something in my mouth, my friend leaned in and whispered, “Did you decide to let your grey grow out?” Not able to speak at the moment, I just shook my head and mumbled, “No.”

Once I regained use of my voice I told her, “Actually, my bangs were not cooperating, so I just pulled them away from my face.” I assured her that I still plan to cover the grey for a while longer.
Do you have family or friends who say things unfiltered?

No comments:

Post a Comment