Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, September 28, 2015

Muffins with Mom – 3 Ways teens drive parents crazy


Do you ever feel like your kids drive you crazy? It’s a normal reaction. When they’re younger, they refuse to eat vegetables, or don’t want to wear the clothes you picked out for them. When your lovely cherubs become teens the game changes.
As kids transition into the teen years, they can become self-absorbed. Unfortunately, there’s no way around this stage, you just go through it, strategically. So how do teens drive parent s crazy? Let me show you.

1.      “I’ll do it in a minute” – You may have never heard this phrase come from the lips of your child, but this is a frequent chant in my home. You may say, “I need you to put away the dishes.”

You are rewarded with the response, “Ok, I’ll do it in a minute.” You give him 10 minutes and it’s still not done, so you repeat your request only to hear, “OKAY, Ma, I’m coming.” It still takes minutes longer.
 
2.      “Why do I have to…” – Some days I believe my teen likes to do or say the opposite of what I want him to do. Recently my son served as an usher in the wedding of a young lady who used to be his babysitter. I explained to him that this was an honor to be asked to be a part of this special occasion.

Once my son tried on his tuxedo, he was okay with his role in the wedding. It was the day after the wedding that I heard the chorus of “Why’s.” It was the day my son was scheduled to serve as an usher at church. When I woke him to prepare for his role, he grunted, “Why do I have to usher again? I just did it yesterday.” 

3.      The silent treatment – There will be times when your teen will pretend he doesn’t hear a word you are saying to him. He may even wear headphones and pretend he is listening to music.
Bonus

4.      Teens say crazy things – When my son awoke late for school one day, I told him to hurray or he would miss the bus. He said, “I’m lactose intolerant. I can’t ride the cheese.”

It was my turn to roll my eyes and give the silent treatment. However, my son interrupted my silence, “Do you know what that means Ma?”

“Yes, I know the school bus is called the cheese.” 

What do your kids do that drive you crazy?

No comments:

Post a Comment