Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, November 24, 2014

Muffins with Mom - The shopping trip – bonding with a teenager


A mom (me) as a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle
How do you bond with a teenager…? Do something that he likes to do. In our case, my son and I stumbled upon an unplanned bonding moment. It was a typical Sunday afternoon when my son and I ventured out to our local discount retail store after church.
There were only a few items on our short list of things to buy. Our main quest was for a pair of long johns for my son. While in the men’s department we discovered something amusing. There was a section of Superhero pajamas that were Onsies – a one piece pajama minus the closed foot.
As I circled the clothing rack, I tried to imagine someone lying next to a full grown Superhero. Keep in mind this was not the children’s section of the store. Feeling quite silly, I told my son to try on the Batman pajamas.
Right there in the middle of an aisle, my son slipped on the Batman pajamas over his clothes. And we took photos. It was not enough that he looked silly, he wanted me to look silly too. So I stepped into a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle pajama set. We snapped more photos.
 
 
 
We shared our photos with my son who is away at college so that he could experience a piece of home life. Often, our bonding times involve stepping out of what is considered to be the “norm”. We explore our silly side, even if it’s in the middle of a public place.
In addition to being silly, the shopping trip with my son opened the door to other conversations. We talked about school, football workouts and whose turn it was to pick a movie to watch after dinner. Every day does not include a bonding moment, but that day was classic.
What kinds of things do you do as part of the bonding process with your child?

No comments:

Post a Comment