Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, June 23, 2014

Muffins with Mom – 4 things I learned from my teens and other ramblings


Photo credit and recipe
Summer is finally (officially) here and it’s time to change your routine a bit. Along with seasonal fruit why not try a Blueberry Cream Cheese muffin?
As I think about the comforting feeling from eating a moist muffin, I am also comforted by recent things I’m learning from my teen boys. As a parent it’s natural to want to make sure your child learns everything he needs to survive in life. However, we often forget, it’s okay for us to learn lessons from our children.

1.      Teens like affection from their parents (they just sometimes pretend they don’t) – As I was sitting at my computer working on a writing project, my fourteen-year-old crept up beside me. He kissed me on my cheek. I jerked away as I was under attack. This came from the son who never wants a hug. He usually wants to wrestle, so I preparing for battle. He looked at me smiling and said, “Wow, Ma. Is that how you receive my affection?”

All I could say was, “I didn’t know.”

2.      Teens have special bond with each other (especially siblings) – During a basketball game my oldest son made a play that he was proud of. He looked in the stands at his brother, smiled and mouthed something. My younger son later told me that they have a code word they use when sharing an on the court accomplishment. It was nice to see them share a special bonding moment, even though we know it won’t always be that way.
 
On the way to a dunk during warm-ups
 
3.      Teens will occasionally cooperate with you without complaining – this is true, it really happened the other day. I was trying to complete an assignment by a deadline and I didn’t want to stop to cook breakfast, so I asked my oldest teen to cook some eggs and waffles for me. After all, he’s the Belgian Waffle Guru. As I awoke my son from his sleep he mumbled, “Just 10 more minutes and I’ll do it.” I let him sleep another 20 minutes and he got up and cooked…and I finished my project. Little miracles never cease.

4.      Little things can create great memories – on the way home from basketball road trip, the boys and I have made it a tradition to play games. My son wore his high school jersey for the last time as he played in a countywide all-star game. On the car ride home we recapped the game, then played our traditional game.

We took turns naming a song that begins with each letter of the alphabet. After we completed round with songs, we each named an actor or actress whose name began with the designated letter of the alphabet.
 
                                  Creating fun at a volunteer event
 
As we ease into a summer routine, I’m sure there will be other lessons that my teens will teach. How about you, what things have you learned from your child lately?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment