Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, September 20, 2013

5 ideas for creating birthday traditions


Birthday grab bag and snacks
 
Do you know a child you doesn’t love to celebrate his birthday? From toddlers to teens, my boys have always loved birthday celebrations. One tradition at our house is that the birthday person always wakes up to something special.
This year, I awoke early to begin my son’s birthday surprise. Sneaking into the kitchen, I blew up fourteen balloons, one for each year of his age. I signed the birthday card and included fourteen coins (another tradition). Off to my son’s bedroom I went to scatter balloons and strategically place his card.

When my older son awoke, I waited for him to tell his brother happy birthday. It didn’t happen. When he noticed the balloons on the floor he said, “Ma, why are there balloons on the floor?”
“…to surprise your brother,” I replied.

“You know his birthday is not until tomorrow, right?”
“Oh, today is not the 18th?”

I decided to leave things the way they were, especially since my lips were dry from blowing up balloons. It wasn’t a total foul up since balloons were only part of our traditional birthday celebration. As my boy have gotten older, our traditions have changed. We’ve moved from having birthday parties to letting each boy choose a place to eat for dinner.
If you are looking to change or add to your family birthday celebrations, below are five ideas.

1.      Birthday in a bag – make a grab bag full of your child’s favorite items. This year my son’s

2.      Birthday count down – do something special each day for a week leading up to your child’s birthday. Maybe your child likes music, sports or has a hobby. You could leave an item related to these things in your child’s room (a new CD, tickets to a sporting event or a toy related to her hobby).

3.      Have a special dinner – let your child choose what’s for dinner on his birthday, or better yet, let him choose dinner out at his favorite location. I have one son who loves breakfast, so it’s always IHop for him. My other son has a favorite Coney Island burger, so it’s either that or Red Robin. This year it was Red Robin. Yum!

4.      Balloons with a message – blow up a bunch (however you want to define “bunch”) of balloons and write a special message on each one. It can be as simple as “you’re terrific” or “I love you.”

5.      Have a Treasure Hunt – hide the birthday present, then write step by step clues that lead to the hidden gift.

A happy birthday ending


Do you have a birthday tradition that your child looks forward to? What would you add to the list of traditions?

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment