Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, January 4, 2016

Muffins with Mom – A Grammar lesson from a teen


photo credit
It was amazing to see that my teen son received an ‘A’ in his English Literature/Composition class. However, at home, his knowledge was not reflective of what he learned in school. I discovered this in a recent conversation we had.
During Christmas break, when my son was tired of playing his video game he announced, “Ma, I’m going over Cam’s house.”
My face turned into a frown as I said, “That sounded more like a statement than a question. You’re supposed to ask if you can go, not tell me. Didn’t you learn about sentence structure in class?”
“Yes, I know how to form a sentence and that WAS a question, you just didn’t hear the question mark.”
So I guess I didn’t listen intently enough (insert sarcasm). I think my sons next lesson will be in the use of the exclamation mark, when I tell him, “Go clean your room!”
Have you experienced an unexpected lesson from your child lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment