Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, November 3, 2014

Muffins with Mom – When kids grow up: how do you handle change?


 
Did you realize that kids seem to grow up right before your eyes? One day you have your little lying on your chest rocking him to sleep, the next thing you know, he wants to drive your car. I’ve often heard the phrase, kids grow up so fast…not I see the meaning behind that.
Here’s what I mean…

My son ventured off to college at the end of July and he hasn’t been back home yet. I have to confess that I don't do face time, mainly because I don’t own an Apple product. If I did have one, my younger son would have to show me how to use it.

I am not totally in the dark when it comes to other forms of communication. I text my son often and call him on the phone when I feel the urge. It caught me off guard the other day when he texted and attached a photo. I hadn’t realized it had been so long since I had seen him.
My son wanted me to see his new “fit” (as my younger son calls it). The outfit looked nice on him, but I zoned in on the hairstyle and the NEW facial hair.

“What is that under your chin?” I typed.

“LOL, that’s been there,” he replied.
I had to stop texting (because I text slow) and just call him. I had a lot more questions. He had hints of facial hair above his lip when he left home, not a full mustache, goatee, and seven inches of hair on top of his head.

As I stop and reflect, I see that my children have gone from babies to big boys, and now young men.
I didn’t go shopping with my “baby boy” when he needed to buy a suit for an upcoming event. So, I had him try everything on when he got home. My first thought was WOW, he has grown up too. The boys young men stay in constant contact with each other, so we took photos for him to share with his brother.

Serious

Silly

If you were to ask me how I handle my boys growing up, I would say cherish every moment. If I think of something funny that happened to me, I’ll text my son and share a laugh. My younger son and I sometimes bond as we travel in the car. And it seems that photos are at the forefront of special moments with both boys.
How are you preparing for your child to grow up or what have you already experienced?

No comments:

Post a Comment