A parenting moment
Do you sometimes feel like you have to be Wonder Woman or Superman in order to be a successful parent? Guess what? You don’t need a magic lasso, nor a blue and red suit with a cape, in order to be a successful parent.You may have already discovered that your child will provide you with have many opportunities to test your parenting skills. For instance, I’m learning to remain calm in challenging situations. I’ve discovered that I don’t always have to yell and scream to get my teen son to do something. Instead I can send him a simple text…in all capital letters, “PLEASE CLEAN YOUR ROOM NOW.”
You probably have an arsenal of things in your parenting tool box to aid you in successful parenting. Just for fun here’s a list of things you DON’T need for successful parenting.
1. Perfection – don’t think you have to be the perfect parent. You don’t have to do everything yourself. Ask for help and don’t feel guilty for asking.
2. Six figure income – A job that pays well is always helpful in child rearing, but quality time with your child is even better. Don’t cause yourself undue stress if you can’t buy your child everything he wants. It’s also ok if she doesn’t sign up for every dance class or sorts activity.
3. You don’t have to neglect yourself – you have to take care of yourself in order to have the energy to take care of your child. In the midst of a hectic schedule, be sure to schedule “me time.”
4. You don’t need to always make your child happy – an article at forbes.com encourages parents to role model hard work and allow children to experience disappointment. “Strive to raise responsible children who will grow to become responsible adults.”
5. Don’t be afraid to show love and affection – give your child lots of hugs and kisses.
Here’s a bonus “don’t” - Don’t give up when you’re feeling overwhelmed, your breakthrough is on the way.
What would you add to the list of things you don’t need for successful parenting?