Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, July 7, 2014

Muffins with Mom - Behind closed doors- an embarrassing moment

The elevator door that concealed my embarrassing moment, or so I thought.

Have you said to your child, “Make sure you are on your best behavior?” This is a phrase I’ve used quite often, especially when my children were going out in public somewhere and I wouldn’t be with them. We want our children to be the best representative of us that they can. With that being said, do we as parents also have an obligation to represent our family in a good way?
I recently fell short of achieving the goal I stress to my boys, “be on your best behavior.” My experience happened behind closed doors. Here’s the story…

I started a new job about a month ago, one of my main responsibilities requires me to monitor the front desk area where we welcome the public. The other day, after patron borrowed one of our wheelchairs, I volunteered to return the chair to the equipment room. This gave me an opportunity to get away from the desk and stretch my legs.

I made my way over to the elevator with the wheelchair and proceeded to the lower level. When the elevator door closed, I decided to do a few squats to stretch my muscles. After a repetition of two, I looked to my left and noticed a sign. The sign read “WARNING – all activities are recorded to aid in the prosecution of any crime committed against this facility." I looked up and to the right and there it was a round darkened globe, which I assumed contained the camera recording my activities.
The first thing I thought was, there goes my probationary period. I began to prepare my defense on my way back to the front desk (this time I took the stairs). My closing argument was “this is a fitness facility and we want the customers to see that we think highly enough about our facility to also work out there.”

That’s my story and I’m sticking with it. I shared my story with coworkers AND my supervisor, after they finished laughing they reassured me that everything would be okay.
The take away lesson for my children in this instance would be a phrase my grandmother always used to say, “Do as I say, not as I do.” The take away lesson for me is laugh and the world laughs with you.

Have you ever done anything embarrassing?

1 comment:

  1. I like this post...I have done many embarrassing moments. My daughter don't like me to be around her peers because she says I embarrass her. I had to ponder what she stated and ask myself what am I doing. Do I look like a cool mom around teenagers or do I look like a old fashioned mom that is always strict with rules all the time? I am one of those structured mom that don't tolerate things that is harmful or offending to others.

    I remember the saying, do what I say and not what I do, which this statement is important because we as adults do things that children would not understand; however contrary to this, I tell my daughter to do as do and not what I say. I stated this because I really do not say much in my household, because I don't want to appear as a nagging mom but give an example of what needs to be done to sustain and prosper in this life. Our children watching everything that we do anyway so we as parents need to be on best behavior at all times.

    ReplyDelete