It’s coming soon – National Iced Tea Day; this holiday is celebrated on June 10th. Join the celebration by serving your favorite iced tea beverage or trying a new recipe. You can even amaze you friends and family with fun facts about iced tea (see below)5 Fun Facts about iced tea
· Thomas Sullivan, a New York City tea importer became annoyed at the high cost of the tin boxes he used to send tea samples to customers. In 1904 he switched to small cloth bags. One of the recipients brewed a pot of tea by pouring hot water over the bag...”the rest is history.”
· According to the Tea Association of the US, Americans consume over 55 billion servings of tea (over 2.50 billion gallons).
· The teaspoon was developed to easily add sugar to tall glasses of iced tea.
· Approximately 80% of tea served in the US today is iced tea.
· The famous Long Island Iced Tea doesn’t contain any tea.
Now here are 5 recipes for various types of iced tea.
Good Ol' Alabama Sweet Tea
Lemonade Mint Iced Tea
Blackberry Sweet Tea
Photo credit: Jennifer Danick; Syling: Lydia DeGaris Powell
Citrus Sweet Tea
Grilled Shrimp Salad with Sweet Tea Vinegarette
What is your favorite iced tea…flavored, regular, sweet tea?