Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Words of Wisdom Wednesday – Poems for parents


My seventeen-year old at 3 years old
 
Since I have more than a few words today AND it’s still National Poetry Month, I’m sharing a few poems related to parenting.

If I Had My Child to Raise All Over Again - By Diane Loomans

If I had my child to raise all over again,

I’d build self-esteem first, and the house later.
 
I’d finger paint more, and point the finger less.

I’d do less correcting and more connecting.
 
I’d take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.

I’d take more hikes and fly more kites.

I’d stop playing serious, and seriously play.
 
I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.

I’d do more hugging and less tugging.

 
Daddy’s Footsteps – Author Unknown
 
“Walk a little slower Daddy,”

Said a little child so small.

 
“I’m following in your footsteps,

And I don’t want to fall.”

 
“Sometimes your steps are very fast

Sometimes they’re very hard to see;

 
So walk a little slower Daddy,

For you are leading me.

 
Some day when I’m all grown up,

You’re what I want to be;

 
Then I will have a little child,

Who’ll want to follow me.

 
And I will want to lead just right,

And know that I was true;
 
 
So, walk a little slower daddy,

For I must follow you.”
 
The first poem really resonates with me because my oldest son will be heading off to college in the fall. After reading the poem, the silly side of me thought, I should have come across this poem 10 years ago. The serious me thought, did I play enough?...I think I did. Just in case… I’m going to overlook the messy bedroom, the dishes that need to be washed and the clothes that need to be folded, and go give my son a hug.

Seventeen year-old with his Mama

I hope you will take the time to go out and play today!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment