Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, May 14, 2018

Muffins with Mom – Family Vacation



Do you have family members who provide so much entertainment that all you have to do is sit back and smile? That family member may even be you. Here’s how my story unraveled.

Our first port of call required us to take a tender (small boat) to the island. Unfamiliar with traveling by tender, I said to my mom, “we won’t be in a canoe will we? This brief mode of transportation won’t require use of an oar will it?” None of the above was necessary.

We stepped off the cruise ship and wobbled onto the tender, one rocky step at a time. The waves bounced, the tender rocked. My body swayed, tilted, and leaned and I hadn’t made it to my seat yet. The 15 passenger tender felt unsteady.

I grabbed something for balance and finally sat down. The boat swayed again. I think I converted from Baptist to Catholic in two minutes flat. I was reminded of the Hail Mary prayer my mom learned in catholic school. “Hail Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee, blessed art though amongst women…”

Gripping my necklace, you would have thought I was holding rosary beads. I cried out like the rocks in the Bible saying, “My God, my God.” It was only a five minute ride across the water, yet I felt like singing a gospel hymn. “There’s a storm out over the ocean and it’s movin’ this way.”
I survived, and on the ride back to the ship, the waters were smoother. And we were on a larger watercraft.

Below are tales involving different relatives…

Mama
During our elegant dining on our cruise, we were offered a variety of desserts. When mom’s dessert was placed in front of her, it look like two miniature scoops of ice cream. I asked her, “Are you having anything with that?”

“Yes, a spoon.”

That was not quite the answer I anticipated.


 Uncle


My uncle is 68 years old and participates in competitive power lifting. He’s the Incredible Hulk of our family. My uncle, brother and I were chatting over lunch. When my brother asked my uncle, “What size shirt do you wear?”

“Medium,” was the reply.

My brother and I looked at each other and started laughing. I said, “If you can fit a medium shirt, I must need to shop in the Juniors section of the store.” My uncle’s shirt was clinging to him like a scuba diving suit. I guess that makes his muscles pop more.


Brother


We all know airport food can be a bit pricey. On our trip home we had a two hour wait before boarding our flight. My mom wanted a bag of potato chips to snack on, so my brother and I trudged off on a quest for chips.

It didn’t take long to spot the chips. My brother studied the list of prices then turned to me and said, “Do you want to give me half on this bag of chips? It’s a small investment.”



What entertaining things happened on your last family vacation?



No comments:

Post a Comment