Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, March 23, 2018

Fun Friday – Ritz crackers and a life lesson

One lone Ritz Cracker left from lunch

I stood staring at the items on the shelf of my kitchen pantry – plastic utensils, paper cups, cereal, breakfast bars and crackers. Where was the real food, something I could take for lunch? I grabbed a half sleeve of Ritz crackers and tossed them into my lunch bag for the next day, along with a can of soup. It was time to go grocery shopping.

The buttery flavor of a Ritz cracker is always satisfyingly delicious. I have to place a limit on the amount I demolish in one sitting. The next morning as I prepared to grab my lunch bag, I noticed my half sleeve of crackers were replaced with a whole sleeve. “Noooo, I can’t take this many crackers with me. I will eat the whole thing.” No one was in ear shop of my wail.

My son had eaten the crackers I packed and replaced them with a larger pack. There has always been a struggle for me to exercise portion control with Ritz Crackers. Nabisco nailed that recipe. Ordinarily I would not have a large quantity of the delectable delights on hand, but I’d just had a gathering where I supplied snacks.

Once I finished my lunch I texted my son and said, “You sabotaged my lunch. I had my portion size set.”

His response was, “Nooo Ma, lol you weren’t supposed to eat all of them.”
He obviously did not know my battle with crunchy, cracker of choice. His next text message to me was a dissertation of sorts. It said…

“As adults we learn and teach ourselves new things every day and become more wise as life goes on. In this situation self-discipline was the topic and you had to teach that to yourself and learn as you go.”

The statement was followed by a winking emoji with a heart.
I said, “Lmbo (laughing my butt off) Professor V., your grammar and sentence structure are off, but I get your point.”

My young adult son reminded me to exercise self-discipline with my food choices. It’s amazing when our children switch roles with us an unexpected lesson. Sometime I wonder whether something was misunderstood when I said I wanted my kids to be smart. Not smartaleck.

What life lessons have you learned from your child?


2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, where do I start, there are so many having been blessed with four offspring. One in particular that comes to mind is when my second son was about two years old. When it was bedtime, I always put the kids in bunny flannel pjs in the winter because they often tossed and turned and ended up on top of the covers. The last thing I wanted was for them to catch a cold that took additional treatment, especially if it could be prevented. Well I would put these pjs on him every night and every night he would resist me and tell me he didn’t want them on and I would persist because momma knows what is best. By morning he would be out of those pjs in his T-shirt and undies. As he got older I noticed he sweat much more than my other children and then I realized that I really didn’t always know best. He was probably miserable with those pjs on 😊. The lesson is to seek to understand why a person doesn’t agree with you especially if you are in a position of authority. They just may have a legitimate reason why they want to do differently than your direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Rennette, I can totally relate. Thanks for stopping by the blog.

      Delete