Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, February 5, 2018

Muffins with Mom – Healthy eating – 3 tips for supporting your teen

When a teen decides to adapt a healthier eating lifestyle 

“I’m going Vegan.” Those were the words my teen son announced to me one day. He said, “I going to go vegetarian first, then move into Vegan.” The following day my young adult son made his announcement. “Ma, I’m going to become a Vegan.”

I told my boys, “What you’re GOING to do, is finish that three pounds of ground beef you had me buy last week. After you make those tacos you wanted, you can go Vegan, Vegetarian, or become a Veterinarian (just needed a ‘V’ word), but you’re not going to waste that food.”

Healthy lunch prepared by a teen

It’s heart-warming to see your child taking an interest in their health and you want to support any positive action. Is becoming a vegetarian, vegan ____________fill in the blank, right for your child? Here are three tips to help your child determine if a change in eating is tight for him.

1.      Determine the motivating factor – what is driving this change for your child? Was it something she read or saw on T.V.? Is it something that a friend is doing? Is he preparing doing this to get in shape for a sport?

2.      Research – let your child research this area (with your assistance as needed). He should learn what it means to be Vegan or Vegetarian. Talk to someone who is living this lifestyle. Seek recipes that are simple.

3.      Consult a nutritionist/physician – does your child have health concerns? Will this be a drastic change in eating for her?

Disclaimer: I do not have a background in the medical field. These are things I learned through parenting my boys.


If you tips for teens seeking to become Vegan, please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment