Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Wellness Wednesday – 3 tips for beating procrastination


Cadillac, Mercedes, Jaguar and the NutriBullet Rx. What do these items have in common? The first three are top of the line, elegant cars. The fourth item is a top of the line “blender/juicer.” All of these items come with an owner’s manual.

My sleek blender and all its parts were packaged neatly in box with cardboard dividers to protect its fragile parts. It was a Christmas gift that I received to help me with healthy meal preparation. Although I was excited about this gift, it was a month before I opened it.

The box was shifted from under my Christmas tree to a new location in the kitchen pantry. I kept making excuses for not opening the box. I needed to buy fruit, needed to reorganize an area to store the juicer, and so on.

When I finally opened the box, it was like Christmas all over again. I had the gleam in my eye of a kid with a new toy. Until…I discovered all of the reading material. There were warranty papers and a 30 page recipe book (that I call the owner’s manual). My first thought was, do I have to read all of this before I can play?

I closed the box and put it back in the pantry for later, when I could spend more time reviewing recipes and make a grocery list. Procrastination had gotten the best of me once again. Don’t let procrastination keep you from starting or continuing your journey to health and wellness.

Here are 3 tips to beat procrastination.

1.      Jump right in – just get started
2.      Look at time – sometimes we have a poor concept of the amount of time a task will take. Decide on an amount of time you want to spend on a task and break the task into small amounts of time if necessary.
3.      Have a procrastination song power song (from forbes.com) – find a song that energizes and pumps you up. Play it whenever you want to tackle something you’ve been procrastinating.

BONUS
4.      Celebrate the completion of your task – motivate yourself by creating a reward for the completion of your task.

What is one thing that you want to accomplish on your health and wellness journey?


“The journey of a thousand miles starts with a simple step.” Lao Tzu

No comments:

Post a Comment