Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, January 1, 2018

Muffins with Mom – 3 tips for crushing distractions to achieve your goals in 2018

photo credit: happynewyear2018x.com

Haaaappy New Year! Time to crush any distractions that may potentially block you from achieving your goals. Have you ever started a project only to find that as soon as you got into it, something came up that you needed to address? Distractions.

Sometimes we become distracted because a particular task is overwhelming and we don’t know where to begin. I can tell you from experience I’ve done a few mindless things in my lifetime, in a single day.

Just the other day, during a workout session were doing high knees in place. In place is the operative phrase. After 30 seconds we stopped, I looked around, and I was part of the way across the room. Oops.

In another instance I had a nagging hangnail on my finger. I put a band-aide on my finger, after about an hour I noticed the finger was still bothering me. I looked down at my finger and realized that I had put the band-aide on the wrong finger. Huh.

Hurrying to pack my bag for work one day, I unknowingly grabbed the TV remote and tossed it into the bag. I guess I was so excited to be going into work on my day off. No worries, I also wore my warm fuzzy socks that are reserved for the comfort of my home.

Now that I’ve rambled on about oddball silly distractions, here are three ways to crush real distractions.

1.      Persistence and dedication – persevere – if you’re feeling overwhelmed, break task into smaller manageable tasks. I like the saying, “How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.” You don’t have to attempt to accomplish everything at once.

2.      Did in and do it – if it’s people that are distracting you, close your door for a set amount of time. Don’t answer emails, stay off social media, set a timer and work for short periods of time if this will help you focus.

3.      Change your environment – If you typically work from home, go to a coffee shop, the library or take a walk to get your creative juices flowing.

BONUS
4.      Learn to say no – You will not be able to attend every office party and other celebrations if you want to achieve your goals. It’s okay to say no to some events. This is not to say that you must eliminate all fun from your life, moderation is key. Be selective in the events you attend. Plan dedicated time for what you want to achieve and special outings can be your reward for staying on task.


What are your tips for crushing distractions?

No comments:

Post a Comment