Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, September 4, 2017

Muffins with Mom – Labor Day with family

Photo Credit: Tooele City

Historically, Labor Day has been recognized as a celebration of working men and women. It has also become known as the beginning of the fall season and back to school. Many families make this a time of relaxation and enjoyment of each other’s company. A time to rest from labor.

This year my uncle offered to host a Pre-Labor Day Barbecue. My youngest son was away at college, so my plan was to pick up my mom and ride together to my uncle’s house. That plan was slightly altered.

The day before our family barbecue mom and I spent time together shopping, visiting the library and more shopping. By the time I drove the 30 minutes back to my house, I fell into bed and was sound asleep. I don’t think I was asleep long enough to reach a state of dreaming. However, I heard a voice say, “Ma.”

The voice said something else to me, I opened one eye and screamed. My son who was supposed to be away at school six hours away, was standing in my bedroom. All I could say was, “What are you doing here?” I continued sleeping.

The next day, my son showed me the video he recorded of my surprise reaction to his visit. Loosely fitted upon my head was a bonnet like the one Grandmother wore in the story of Little Red Riding Hood. I opened one eye and started kicking the covers like I was in a fight or swimming.

Although, I was happy to see my son, I’ve decided I need to take away his house keys.

My son rode with me to my mom’s house and the three of us drove to the barbecue together. But not before he entered my mom’s house and yelled “surprise.”


Wishing you an enjoyable Labor Day filled with family, friends and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment