Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, December 14, 2015

Muffins with Mom – Reflections-A Letter to God

photo credit

If you wrote a letter to God, what would it include? During my teen years, my brother and I attended a special “Watch Night” church service with my mom on New Year’s Eve. We attended a non-denominational church and the service was different than what I was used to at other churches.

The singing was quiet, no menagerie of instruments or cymbals, just peaceful songs. The New Year’s Eve service consisted of singing Let there be peace on earth, a message from the pastor, then writing a letter to God.

In writing our letter to God, we were to list affirmations, positive things we wanted to see happen in our lives in the coming year. In a way, it was like praying on paper. You could let your emotions flow as you expressed things you may not have been ready to verbalize.

We addressed our letters to ourselves and left them at the church. Six months later the letter was mailed to us. It was an opportunity to reflect on the direction life had taken us and see if we had accomplished what we wanted.

When my teens were younger, I had them write a letter to God. I let them treat it as a private conversation between them and God. I tucked away their completed letter for six months then returned it to them.

The boys were amazed at the things they had included in their letter. Some things had actually happened others, they still needed to work on. They included things like-improved grades, better attitude in school, etc.

More than anything, for my boys, the process of writing down their thoughts helped put things in perspective. For me, the letter writing process was a way to express gratitude as well a symbolic representation of my faith.

As this year comes to a close will you take the time to reflect? What good things have occurred in your life? What are you looking forward to in the New Year? Put it in a letter to God.


No comments:

Post a Comment