Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, June 8, 2015

Muffins with Mom – Best Friends Day

Best friends since high school - somebody's 40th birthday (years ago)
Best friends, ready for an outing.

Carpe Diem – seize the day. Did you know that June 8th is celebrated as National Best Friends Day? We may not see our best friend as often as we would like, so now is a great opportunity to schedule time with your friend.

Would you choose a quiet dinner out, a movie, maybe even a music concert? I heard a radio announcer promoting a concert called Bring the Noise. My immediate reaction was, I don’t want to hear any noise, I want peace and quiet. That was an indication that I may not be as young as I used to be.

My best friend and I opted to go to a comedy show as out outing. As I prepared for the 10:30pm show, my teen boys asked, “Where are you going in the middle of the night?” Of course they were experiencing role reversal. Bless their hearts, they thought they could question me on my whereabouts.

Shhh, don’t tell my boys, but I was actually hoping I would stay awake long enough to make it to the show. I am an early morning person, not late night.

I drove thirty minutes to my friend’s house since she lived near the comedy club. As we were guided to our seats, my friend shook her head and said, “Why are we sitting right at the stage? You’re supposed to get close up seats for a concert, not for the comedy club, where you may be talked about.” Well, I guess she won’t ask me to purchase the tickets next time.

The comedians were funny, but as the show neared the end, my eyes began to get heavy. I had to fight to keep them open. I could not, would not fall asleep sitting at a comedy show. I knew I would be live bait for the comic if that happened. One comic reached down to our table and used a napkin to make a point in his routine. That’s how close we were to the stage.

I squirmed in my seat, I twisted my hair, I crunched on a nacho, anything to stay awake. When the last comic finally said goodnight I leaned over to my friend and said, “Is that the last comic?” She just shook her head and laughed at me. I engaged in conversation with her in the car for a short while, then I had to close my eyes, if only for 10 minutes. And that’s what I did.

Best friends understand. We enjoy each other’s company when we can. Sometimes it’s simply sharing quiet moments together. Seize the day and make time for a friend.


Do you have a best friend story to share? How will you celebrate National Best Friends Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment