Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, December 22, 2014

Muffins with Mom – PUSH – Pray Until Something Happens



My disabled vehicle on the shoulder of the highway.
When facing a difficult situation, I’ve heard it said that you have to P.U.S.H. forward – Pray Until Something Happens. Just last week I lived this phrase.
It was a chilly December evening, yet not cold enough for a winter coat. It was a 20 minute drive to where I was supposed to meet my mom and pick up my oldest son. He had spent the day helping her around the house.
My car stalled before I even left the house, but after giving it a jump with the booster cables, my younger son and I headed to the highway. Having just finished football strength training at school, my son fell asleep in the passenger seat. The car ride was pretty smooth until we reached the halfway point of our journey.
I was driving in the middle lane of the I-94 highway when traffic began to slow down. We had caught up to rush hour traffic, but it was toward the end or rush hour. Going about 40 miles per hour, my car began to coast even slower.
Within seconds everything in the car shut down.  The heat went off, all the dash light wen out. Panic set in as I tried to unlock the car door. My heart rate increased, I pounded on the side window and the sun roof. Snatching my son out of his sleep, I yelled to my son, “I can’t get out.”
I prayed and tried to calm down. There were cars and a semi- truck going around us. My son said, “Ma, unlock the door with your hand.”
I unlocked my door and told my son, “Get out we have to push the car.”
Still a little disoriented after waking from his sleep, my son stood near the front of the car. I told him to get behind the car and push while I pushed and steered from the driver’s side. At first we had trouble changing lanes because everyone was going around us. The hazard lights did not work.
We kept pushing and I eased the car into the right hand lane. Once we made the lane transition, my son began to push faster. I had to yell to him to slow down because I didn’t know if I would be able to stop.
Praying the whole time, we made it to the shoulder of the highway. I had my phone in my pocket and the Bluetooth on my ear. Trying to maintain a steady voice, I called my husband, then 911.
My husband arrived with three fluorescent vests. The 911 dispatcher connected me to the State police who sent out a Department of Transportation vehicle (MDOT). Upon arrival, the driver lit flares behind my car and said he would have highway cameras focused in our direction.
My son and I sat in my husband’s car until the tow truck arrived. While we waited I reflected on all the sayings I’ve heard related to challenging situations –
·         Turn your tests into a testimony

·         Turn your trials into triumphs

·         Make your mess, your message
My message is simple, when you feel yourself in a challenging situation, P.U.S.H - Pray Until Something Happens.
Have you experienced a situation where you had to P.U.S.H. forward?

No comments:

Post a Comment