Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, December 19, 2014

Fun Friday – A matter of interpretation or misinterpretation


A grocery list - sometimes it's legible, sometimes it isn't
Have you ever experienced a situation where something you did or said was misinterpreted? An item on my grocery list was the target of misinterpretation the other day.
I stopped by the grocery store on the way home from work, once inside the store I realized that I didn’t have my shopping list. Using my semi-sharp memory, I grabbed items that I could recall from the list.
Before leaving the grocery store I called my teen son at home and asked him to read the list to me. He rattled off items, “Milk, cereal, apples, Ritz…”
“I don’t remember Ritz being on the list, you’re just add stuff,” I told him.
“I’m just telling you what I saw on the list,” he said adamantly.
I grabbed a few more items, including a box of Ritz crackers. Although I didn’t believe the crackers were on the list, I got them anyway because I like to snack on them.
After arriving home, my curiosity got the best of me, I had to check out the grocery list. The list was still in its spot, written on a magnetic pad posted on the refrigerator door. The items were – milk, cereal, apples and GRITS not RITZ.
Somebody had not taken their time to write clearly or to read slowly. Either way I was without grits. It was no big loss, I simply created a new list. However, next time I will make a list to remind me to take the list when I leave the house for the day.
What experience have you had with something being misinterpreted?

No comments:

Post a Comment