Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, September 1, 2014

Muffins with Mom – The kickoff


 
Before I dive into today’s blog post, I want to wish everyone a Happy Memorial Day. This is a day to honor the memory of military personnel for their service and sacrifice. If you know of someone who has served in the military, take a moment to extend a word of gratitude.
Now for the story…

It’s the time of year where parents are kicking into gear for the start of another school year. For my family, it’s the kickoff of high school football season; And for learning lessons on the gridiron. As  parents prepare for back to school there is always a list of supplies to purchase. Along with the traditional list of school supplies, I have added:

·         Pay sports participation fee

·         Purchase a school t-shirt (for me)

·         Sign up to volunteer or bring snacks

What does your fall kick off look like?
It was a warm August evening as my mom and I stood along the fence during my son’s junior varsity football game. It was the first game of the season. We followed number 20 with our eyes as much as we could, but mostly we listed for the announcer as he said, “that was Verges on the tackle.”

My fourteen-year-old son has played football since he was eight or nine years old, but I am still learning the role of the positions he plays. I know that his position as a Linebacker is viewed as a position of toughness. To be an excellent Linebacker one must be quick, tough, intelligent and powerful (I got that information from Google).
Beyond being tough, powerful and intelligent, I am most impressed by what my son is learning through football. He is focused, learning leadership skills, and doing something that brings him joy. As a defensive captain, other players look to him for guidance.

I remind my son that a leadership role is not something to take lightly. A phrase that I share with him often is, “to whom much is given, much is required.” He is learning that his leadership role goes beyond the football field.
Sometimes I feel like I have to play the role of a Linebacker as a parent. I have to be tough, a quick thinker and intelligent enough to outsmart a teen. As my son lines up for the kickoff on the field, I align my thoughts for the challenges and victories the school year will bring.

How are you preparing for the kickoff of a new school year or new chapter in your life?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment