Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, September 15, 2014

Muffins with Mom – Diary of a football mom


Have you ever wanted to take a peek inside someone’s diary or journal? Here’s a sample of what one of my journal entries might look like during football season.
September 11, 2014               9:30pm

We just got home from Joshua’s football game. On the car ride home, we discussed the game. Joshua had 21 tackles and/or assists, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery. I know the stats because he told me. This season he is playing middle linebacker and playing on the special teams as well as offense and defense.
I’m glad Joshua has found something that helps to keep him focused and that he is excited about. This is a motivator for him to also keep his grades up.

############################################################################

What does football season look like for a parent?
It’s high school football season. For my family this means the creation of our very own ‘special teams.’ Many days I have to call the plays, pass the ball and play the role of Free Safety (the last line of defense) all in the realm of parenting.

As part of the kick return team, I catch the ball (assignments to be completed) and run with it. If hubby can’t pick up our son from football practice, I call in my mom and hand off this assignment to her. She is happy to do this, but includes a play of her own (stopping for pizza after practice).
On game days, I rush home after work and change into my team spirit attire, which includes a t-shirt or hoodie with the school logo. I pack my stadium chair into the car…but never use it. I end up standing along the fence where I can jump and yell without obstructing anyone’s view.

During football season I don’t plan anything for Thursday evenings, this is game day and our team bonding time. On the drive home after the game, my son and I recap the events of the game.
“What did you think about this game?” I ask him.

“Some people didn’t play hard.”

He proceeds to tell me who played hard and who didn’t cover their position.
As I close my journal at the end of the season, I have usually gained more knowledge. I know a little more about football and my son’s passion.

As I stand along the fence near the 20 yard line wrapped in a blanket on cold nights, I cheer and shout. Not because I have to, but because I want to.
My son #20 - high school football
 

What is your child’s passion? How do you encourage him or her?

No comments:

Post a Comment