Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Monday, August 25, 2014

Muffins with Mom – Creating lasting memories


From Striderite baby shoes to size 15 basketball shoes
Do you have an object that reminds you of a family vacation, an outing with your child or some other event? As I was preparing for a speech that required the use of visual aids, I came across my seventeen-year old son’s baby shoes. A flood of memories immediately came to mind.
 
A famous doctor said, “Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory. That famous doctor was Dr. Seuss. My son’s baby shoes created a memory of when he was just learning to walk. He would inch along, then topple over, then get up and try again.
 
When my son was about 7 years old, I asked him to wear his boots to church because there was a lot of snow outside. His response was, “those boot are too heavy, and what if somebody tries to kidnap me? I won’t be able to run away.” I tried to reassure him that I would not let anyone take him from the back pew of the church while I was sitting next to him. But he still didn’t want to wear those boots.
 
During my son’s senior year of high school, his team won the State Championship for their division. He no longer wore the baby Striderite shoes I once laced for him. He wore size 15 gym shoes that he could tie all by himself.
 
These gym shoes hold memories of every game I’ve cheered from the stands and watched my son run up and down the court. Sometimes shooting three pointers, other times letting a layup roll from his fingertips effortlessly (or so it appeared).



Memories are powerful possessions. As you go through your day remember what Dr. Seuss said, “Sometimes you will never know the value of a moment until it becomes a memory.”
 
What will you do to create a memorable moment with your child?

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment