Have you heard the saying, “Laughter is the best medicine?” My boys and I recently spent a Saturday with Granny (my mom), laughing. It all started because I told my son I was tired of walking (after a couple hours of shopping).My son attempted to wrap my arm around his shoulder, I thought he was trying to wrestle with me like he usually does. However, this time he said he was trying to lift me to provide me with support. I figured if you can’t beat them, join them.
We moved to a side aisle of the store where my son could continue to lift me. I went along with this version of a trust activity, but only to a certain degree. I held onto a shelf as he lifted one leg. He lifted. I laughed. This continued until my son held my dead weight in is arms.
My son asked me “Why do you laugh so hard?”
“It’s a good workout for my abs.”Little did I know that I would actually find information to support my statement. Did you know that there really are health benefits to laughing? Here’s what I found out about laughter:
1. Laughter relaxes the whole body – a hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress.
2. Fun ab workout – your stomach muscles expand and relax when you laugh, similar to when you exercise your abs.
3. Triggers the release of endorphins – “endorphins are the body’s natural pain killers.” Laughing can release endorphins that can help ease chronic pain (7Health Benefits of Laughter.)
4. Produces a sense of well-being – laughing can increase you sense of well-being and help you to have a positive outlook on life. This has led doctors to believe that people who have a positive outlook on life tend to fight disease better than those who are more negative.
5. Improves cardiac health – laughing gets your heart pumping and burns calories (about the same amount as walking at a slow to moderate pace).
6. Eases anxiety and fear
7. Adds joy and zest to life
For more benefits of laughter check out the article, Laughteris the Best Medicine.
Will you make it a point today to go out and cause a little laughter?
Live, love, laugh!