Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, July 5, 2013

Friendship - If the shoe fits



Have you ever had to walk in anyone's shoes...or socks?

Are you familiar with the expression, “walk a mile in my shoes?” I’ve heard it said, “Don’t judge me until you walk a mile in my shoes.” Or, “If you could only walk in my shoes.” My friend recently exercised the opportunity to mix the figurative meaning of this expression with the literal.
During a week-long conference, my friend and I walked daily from our hotel to the convention center where our classes were held. She mainly walked because I liked to walk. A friend in deed.

Early one morning there were three of us who joined the crowed of walkers headed to the convention center. We were two blocks from the center when my friend’s sandal broke. It was the type of sandal that has the strap that fits between your big toe and the second toe.
My friend wanted to turn back and walk the five blocks back to the hotel, but we wouldn’t let her. She tried to grip the broken shoe with her toes and drag her foot, but that wasn’t working. I offered my suggestion, “How about if we each take off one shoe and drag our foot like you’re doing?” After she caught her breath from laughing, we implemented plan ‘B’ instead.

“You can wear my socks, at least they’ll match your outfit,” I offered. There was no magical moment as with Cinderella and her glass slipper, as my friend slipped the black socks onto her foot. However, the cushion of the thick sock brought a moment of comfort. She made it through the first class session without anyone noticing the absence of her shoes.
After class I was able to give my friend the gym shoes that I was wearing and I changed into something else. I couldn’t offer her the shoes before because my class was active and required us to sometimes run around. For the rest of that morning, my friend walked a mile in my shoes.

If anyone were to question why I took a few pair of shoes on the trip, they could now see why. One pair for walking and others for casual and dress up activities. Since my feet are a size bigger than my friend’s, she was able to fit the shoes without any discomfort.
My shoe held up for my friend just like our friendship has over the years.

What experiences have you had with a friend that have made you smile?

 

 

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story! You're a good friend. :)

    I hope you have a happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dana.

    Hope you have a great weekend also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes. Our friendship has truly been tested with the times and the greatest moments that we have been there for each other. I really did walk the mile in your shoes and it was with great joy as well as comfort. We laughed and joked about me wearing your socks and shoes. It was truly a blessing.

    The victim, who was the recipient and grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Showtime, thanks for being a willing victim of some of my stories (-:

    ReplyDelete