Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, July 19, 2013

Fantastic Friday – What are you fortunate for?


 Dear Diary...

Do you ever sit and reflect on the past? Have you ever thought about your adolescent days and said, “I’m glad that’s over.” Perhaps you remember a time when you were blissfully happy.
Sometimes I look at my boys running through the house, wrestling one minute then arguing the next. Often, I won’t intervene, but instead let them work things out. At least until I hear loud thumps, bumps and bear growls.  

These are the adolescent times for my boys. One day they will look back on these times and say, “remember when…?” I am fortunate for family, even with our imperfections.
I am fortunate friends who have been a part of my life for a short season and those who are in it for the long haul. Here is where I digress a little…. Just the other day I was reading through a few old diaries looking for story ideas. And what did I discover? Some of those friends who have been around for the long were mentioned on the pages of my diary from eighth grade.

Here is an actual excerpt from my diary:
April 27, 1980   11:02pm

Dear Diary,
Yesterday The Sheridan Craze as they call themselves (Timmy, Mary, Kelvin, Eric, Andre & Jesse) gave a party over Andre’s house. The party turned out really nice. I danced a lot. The latest gossip is that Florinda likes Robert when I thought she liked Kelvin, but Norman told me Kelvin & Florinda were talking for a while, but they weren’t going together yet. Then Robert came along and started sweet talking Florinda so that just left Kelvin hanging.

Whew! That was a mouthful. Nothing really juicy there, just a peek into the thought process of a thirteen-year-old back then. I can safely say that I am fortunate to be through with that stage of life. I did have to call my old neighborhood friend and ask, “Who was Florinda?” Everyone else I remember.
One other thing that I am fortunate for is faith. It is the glue that holds everything together.

What about you, what are you feeling fortunate for today?

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it great to read those old diary entries? I wish I'd saved more of them.

    Today I'm feeling fortunate because I have an air-conditioned home to stay in. It's brutally hot outside; I feel for those who are forced to endure such heat.

    I hope you have a great weekend. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. The air conditioning is definitely a comfort.
    Thanks Dana.

    ReplyDelete