Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, June 7, 2013

Fun Friday – What’s in your cereal bowl? – Fun Facts and other trivia


Photo credit: www.blog.bridgespottery.com

Do you have a favorite cereal? For several years I lived in a city that was called the cereal capital of the world, Battle Creek, MI. During the time I was there, it was the headquarters of Kellogg’s. I’d have to say I’m partial to many of the Kellogg brand cereals with Froot Loops topping my list of favorites, but Chex and MultiGrain Cheerios are on my list too.
Some mornings on my way to work I could smell the cereal cooking, baking, being prepared. Often it was a fruity smell and I’d try to guess which cereal it was. Did you know that cereal was invented in Battle Creek by Dr. John Harvey Kellogg and his brother William Keith Kellogg? They founded the Kellogg Company in 1906.

Do you remember the days when you used to sit and eat a bowl of cereal and read the back of the box while eating? Yeah, I still do that sometimes. This led to the idea of posting fun facts about cereal. Test your knowledge with the information below. Did you know…

·         Cereal was first invented when colonial housewives started serving popcorn with sugar and cream for breakfast.

·         The word cereal comes from Cerealia, the name of ancient Roman ceremonies that honored Ceres, the goddess of grain.

·         The average American eats 160 bowls of cereal each year.

·         One bushel of wheat will make 53 boxes of cereal.

·         Breakfast cereal is the third most popular item sold in grocery stores after carbonated beverages and milk.

Can you identify the cereals below by their tag lines?

1.      “They’re G-R-E-A-T”

2.      “Coo Coo for…”

3.      “They’re magically delicious”

4.      “Just follow your nose, wherever it goes, the flavor of fruit…”

5.      “The cereal of champions”

6.      “Snap, Crackle, Pop”

7.      “Silly rabbit….are for kids”

If you still enjoy eating cereal as an adult, know that you are not alone. Check out this cereal commercial of adults who confess to indulging in cereal as a treat.

 
Are you ready for the answers to the tag lines?
       1.      Frosted Flakes
       2.      CoCo Puffs
       3.      Lucky Charms
       4.      Froot Loops (the old commercials with Toucan Sam)
       5.      Wheaties
       6.      Rice Krispies
       7.      Trix
Did you get all of the tag lines correct?

4 comments:

  1. What a fun post! I like cereal, but for some reason, I don't eat it very often. Lately I've been craving Wheat Chex, though. I think I'll pick some up today. :)

    I once stayed overnight in Battle Creek when I was on my way back home to Upper Michigan. I loved that cereal smell!

    Have a great weekend. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto, Dana. This is a cool post, Angela. I rarely eat cereal. But when I do, my preferences are Raisin Brand Crunch and Corn Pops. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana, hope you enjoy a bowl of Wheat Chex soon (-: I bet the smell of cereal baking was a great marketing tool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Linda Corn Pops are good too. I remember when Corn Pops were called Sugar Pops. I wonder if there's less sugar since the name change...hmmm.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete