Welcome

Join me in my daily walk through the joys and struggles of parenthood. Share a word of encouragement or be encouraged. Cry a little, laugh a lot, but know it is all in divine order.

Friday, May 31, 2013

Flashback Friday – Parenting firsts – what are your fondest memories?



First haircut (2 years old)
How would you finish this sentence – “I remember the first time….?” I was at a meeting where the focus was to generate ways to get youth engaged in positive activities. The facilitator asked us to think about a time in our youth where we experienced something for the first time.
The idea of this “flashback” (my name for it) exercise was to get the group to realize (again) what it’s like being a youth and the type things that concern them. If you were to apply this exercise to parenting, what would be your response?

After a little bit of daydreaming, here’s the list I came up with – I remember the first time


·         My son learned to unlock the door of our apartment (at three years old).  He walked right out the door and a neighbor caught him after he made his exit.

·         My son learned to ride his bike with training wheels. He was so excited that he kept rolling past the house. He hadn’t practiced stopping.

·         The boys started kindergarten-one walked slowly, a step behind me, the other ran off and left me in his dust.

·         The first time I took a trip when my son was still a toddler, I left a detailed list of instructions for my mom who was caring for him for the weekend. I don’t think she even looked at it. Maybe the six page packed seemed overwhelming to her.

·         I remember the first time someone looked at my son and said, “How old is she?” I knew it was time for a haircut. SIDE NOTE: He did have long eyelashes.

·         The first time the boys said “I love you.”

 What “firsts” do you remember? Allow yourself to create more memories today.


2 comments:

  1. online mba courses

    here is an extraordinary Blog You may Discover Interesting that we Encourage You

    ReplyDelete